Sitemap | Low Graphics Version
Gaelic Road Signs
Search Results

Details

English namePartick
Gaelic namePàrtaig
Meaning

Location and type of place name

LocationGlasgow City
Local authorityGlasgow City ~ Baile Ghlaschu
Parish post 1891
County post 1891City of Glasgow ~ Baile Ghlaschu
Topographical feature typeSettlement ~ Tuineachadh
Post townGLASGOW
Postcode areaG11
OS sheet number342
OS grid referenceNS552667
Type of namePlace ~ Àite

Elements

Element meaning
Element type

External Resources

OS maps
Pronunciation

Further Information

Language notes
SourcesPartick was originally a village outside the City of Glasgow until 1852 when it became a burgh. Partick is well in evidence in the Medieval era:

perteyk 1136 Glas. Reg 3
perthec 1153 Glas. Reg.7
Perdehic 1172 Glas. Reg. 28
Pertheic 1174 Glas. Reg 32
Pertheic x2 1179 Glas. Reg. 51
Perteyc 1181 Glas. Reg. 57
Perthec 1186 Glas. Reg. 62
Perthec 1277 Glas. Reg. 229
Perthik x2 1362 Glas. Reg. 299
Perthik 1362 Glas. Reg. 300

Early maps of the area such as Blaeu and Ainsley show some pre-existing settlements which have lasted into the present day such as Byres, Hyndland and Merkland. A busy period of street building followed in the period 1850 – 1880 after Partick became a burgh, many named after its prominent citizens and provosts (White St., Purdon St., Gardner St.) Partick was annexed by City of Glasgow in 1912, becoming a district.
Additional info
Accessibility | Copyright © 2006-2011